On Dropping the Ball

Friday, November 20, 2015

Yes, this is one of THOSE posts. The ones where a blogger talks about struggling with priorities and trying to find balance. Sorry in advance. 

I started this blog six years ago and this is the 1,458th post. In that time I've reviewed books, participated in more than a dozen readalongs and nine Dewey Readathons, and most importantly made friends with so many other amazing bloggers. 

In May, the Huz and I found out we were expecting our first little one. Since then life has felt like a whirlwind of fatigue, excitement, and a million other things. In addition to preparing things like the nursery, we've been attending birthing classes, getting life insurance, creating wills, and researching all of the things you're supposed to know before caring for another human being. 

The Huz has switched jobs and is now working two different ones full time. I'm working full time and my office has gone from a staff of 14 to 8 in the span of one year. Needless to say things have been a bit crazy this year. While I've still been reading a lot, I have barely been reviewing. I have been keeping up with my Classics Club duties, but even that has been a struggle.

So I've decided to give myself a bit of a break. I've never taken a break from this blog and I never really planned to. But I know that right now I have so much stuff hanging over my head and I feel like I'm constantly trying to find a way to get through it all. This is new to me. I've never felt like this before and I'm finally realizing that it's ok to put a couple things on hold for a little while instead of constantly feeling like I'm dropping the ball. 

Life doesn't stop when you get pregnant or have a kiddo, but it certainly does get a bit more complicated. I hope that as I find my new balance I'll be able to be back at blogging regularly in the not too distant future. Until then, I hope you all will understand my sporadic posting. Thanks to all of you!

Photo property of Avid Reader's Musings

11 comments:

Ti said...

From the title of this post and your pregnancy pic, I thought you meant "dropping the ball" like "having the baby"... LOL.

Of course you need a break and are entitled to take one anytime you need it. That's what's great about blogging. You do it the way you see fit and it's always right.

Enjoy this time!

Cleo said...

Sometimes things in life make us have to find a "new" balance and a re-arrangement of priorities. It is usually a good thing. Have a wonderful time enjoying your new little one when he/she comes!

JoAnn said...

So much going on in your life right now! Enjoy every moment ... we'll be here when you have time to return.

Brona said...

Try not to think of it as 'dropping the ball'. It's more a case of putting the ball down for a while until you're ready to pick it up again.
We'll be here when you do and until then, take care of yourself and Sydney xoxo

PS When I was juggling too many things earlier this year, I only ended up giving up blogging for about 10 days before missing it too much! But the realisation that I could stop and have a break at any time I needed it was a big help and a huge weight off :-)

Kerry M said...

Take all the time you need! It's never worth feeling like you're constantly dropping the ball. You've had a lot of life changes (and are expecting even more...), and sometimes a break is the right thing to adjust to the new normal. Wishing you the best of luck with baby-to-be, and we'll all be here when you meander back to the blog.

Anonymous said...

Yes! Take a break! Towards the end of pregnancy and the first few months with a new baby I hardly read and blogged. Life has to adjust and there is so much love and newness to soak up.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Ti - Ha, not yet! I did have a stranger ask when I would be "dropping my load", which I thought was an awful way to phrase it.

cleopatra - So true! She will be here before I know it.

JoAnn - Thanks JoAnn!

Brona - I think we all need a break some time. I have a feeling I'll be popping in and blogging whenever it feels right, but at least this takes the pressure off.

Kerry - Thank you! It's so good to be reminded that it's ok to step away for a minute.

figandthistle - It's so reassuring to know I'm not the only one who needs a break and that you can come back after awhile and pick it up again!

Anonymous said...

Oh, don't worry abt this! Be good to you and we'll see you when we see you. 😉 Xoxox {hugs}

Diane Challenor said...

It's wise to step away when priorities change. The main thing is for you to look after yourself and your family. I've enjoyed your blogs. Thank you for your generosity! Just remember it doesn't have to be all or nothing. I write a blog about once every three months or sometimes I take longer. While your blog-site remains on the internet, all your work is still accessible and useful for visitors. Best wishes.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

bkclubcare - xoxo

Diane - I think that's probably what I'll end up doing. Thanks for your support!

thecuecard said...

It's understandable Melissa. Give yourself a break. Have a Happy Thanksgiving too!