James Whitcomb Riley Museum Home

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

 
Tucked in the old Lockerbie neighborhood just off the trendy Mass Ave in Indianapolis is the James Whitcomb Riley Museum Home. Riley was an incredibly famous poet in his time, touring with Mark Twain and corresponding with famous authors like Rudyard Kipling. His name might not be as well-known as their's now, but most people still remember his "Little Orphan Annie" poem and all Hoosiers are raised on his poetry.
 
I recently visited the museum and just loved learning more about Riley. In addition to sharing tidbits about his life and his years spent living in the home, the tour guides were a wealth of information about the house itself. It's one of the few homes that still has almost all of its original furniture and artwork. It was beautiful!

(The street in front of the home still has the wonderful old cobblestone pavement) 
 
Riley was known as the "Hoosier Poet" and most people in Indy might not even realize that Riley Children's Hospital was named in his honor. He was a tiny man, only 5' 6" and in his later years his health declined rapidly. He was only 66 when he passed away.


If you're interested in visiting the home you can find more info at their site. It's definitely worth the trip!

Here are a few more details:

James Whitcomb Riley Museum Home, 528 Lockerbie St, Indianapolis, IN 46202
Sunday and Monday: Closed / Tuesday–Saturday: 10 am to 3:30 pm
Admission: $1 for students (ages 7–17)
/ $4 for Adults

More Wordless (or today, not so wordless) Wednesday here.
Photos by moi

6 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I'm collecting locations for a future Author/Poet tour of the world and this post must go into my file. Thank you!

Here's my Wordless Wednesday!

Sandy Nawrot said...

I did not know ANY of this!!! Not about this piece of history in Indy, nor that Riley Hospital was named after him. Good Lord, where was I? I had to chuckle at the memory of me reciting Little Orphan Annie in front a bunch of older kids at my grade school. I loved that poem (but it scared me a little). Of course all the kids then made fun of me for the next week or two...

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Deb - That's wonderful! I can't wait to see a post on that tour of the world!

Sandy - Isn't that awesome! I didn't know any of it either until I visited recently.

Literary Feline said...

I have heard of Little Orphan Annie, but I am not too familiar with the poet who wrote the poem.

I love that his home still has nearly all the original furniture. I would love to visit the museum one day.

Beth F said...

Great post and pohtos.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Literary Feline - I thought the furnishings were just incredible! It really took you back in time for a minute.